- 9 ounces of white or vanilla cake mix 1/2 of an 18 ounce package
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces plain non fat yogurt 1/2 of a 6 ounce container
- 1/4 cup strawberry all-fruit preserves melted
- 1-1/2 cups whipped cream 3/4 cup heavy cream whipped with 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar to make 1-1/2 cups or natural whipped topping such as Truwhip
- 1 pint strawberries washed, hulled and sliced
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-inch round baking pan with cooking spray, then dust it with flour.
- In a large bowl beat 9 ounces of cake mix (about 1/2 a package), the egg white, water, oil, vanilla and 3 yogurt with an electric mixer until well blended, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the cake from the pan and place it on the rack to cool completely.
- Split the cooled cake horizontally into 2 layers. (I use a thin serrated bread knife.) Place the bottom layer cut side up on a cake plate. Spread 1/2 the preserves over the bottom layer. Cover with half the whipped cream or whipped topping and half the strawberries.
- Top with the remaining layer, cut side down. Coat with the remaining preserves and whipped topping. Arrange the remaining strawberries over the top.