This is a family favorite that is put into every cookbook for my kids when they move out and get married. It is a beautiful dish with many colors and full of flavor. Warning, it is addictive.
- 1 pound sliced bacon (chopped into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 onion (finely sliced)
- 1 medium head cabbage (cored and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- Place a large cast-iron skillet or non-stick deep pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon pieces in one layer and cook until crispy. If needed, cook in batches. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Discard the grease, leaving about 2-3 tablespoons.
- Add the sliced onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until soft.
- Add the chopped cabbage, salt, pepper, oregano, and smoked paprika. Toss and cook until tender, but still a little crispy, for about 15 minutes. Toss and taste, if needed reduce heat to medium-low, cover the pan and cook cabbage for 10 more minutes, until the preferred tenderness is achieved.
- Add the garlic and bacon, cook cabbage for additional 3-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnish with chopped green onions if desired.